[weld-dev] rationale for JTA/JPA questions - trying to add JPA support to archetypes

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 11:42:10 EST 2009

> As to what Dan is referring to, it is likely JOTM:
> http://jotm.objectweb.org, which you won't have to deal with whether you
> are using an embedded EJB Lite container or a CDI specific transaction
> manager with JPA on Tomcat.

Correct. I've also tried Atomikos Essentials, which I actually did get to
work, but should everyone have to fill out a form to use transactions?
http://www.atomikos.com/Main/TransactionsEssentialsDownloadForm That
strengthens Gavin's point about how screwed up this situation with
transactions has become.

What we we need a simple, reliable, documented way for developers to educate
Tomcat how to do transactions correctly. I'm praying that EJB lite is that
solution. I've heard some promising statements and we want to confirm them
through our archetypes. The whole idea of creating these archetypes, as
Steven said, is to get the developer using CDI, JSF 2, JPA and JTA without
even a moment of time wasted, with their choice of Tomcat, Jetty or a Java
EE container. When we have that, we will have accomplished our first, and
most critical, goal.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen