[weld-dev] [jsr-299-eg] Updated spec with @BeanTypes and clarification of @New

Gavin King gavin.king at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:58:54 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Roberto Chinnici
<Roberto.Chinnici at sun.com> wrote:

> But that's the issue, because it triggers scanning of all application
> classes.

No it doesn't! Thats the whole point!

Pete of course has implemented this without scanning of non-bean
deployment archives.

> On top of that, it's speculative scanning. If the bean isn't
> discovered until we find a use of the "second bean" (with @New), should we
> tentatively retain as valid all the resources the bean declares, during
> scanning, only to discard them if it turns out the bean does not actually
> exist (i.e. there is no usage with @New)? I'm also starting to wonder where
> this process ends, given that the SPI lets the application register new
> beans at runtime. Does that mean that all resources declared anywhere are
> valid?

Nononononono!

The 299 impl creates the Bean object for the "second bean"
(unfortunate term) when it notices the injection point with @New.

Obviously we thought this through carefully to be sure that it was
implementable.

gavin.king at gmail.com