[weld-dev] Compiling against JSF 2 API

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 10:23:39 EST 2010

Just so you know, make sure to stay away from the MultiNavigationHandler if
you do this. Using multinavigationhandler will break compatability with
JSF1.2 - and a few of the other new APIs as well (most can be avoided if you
use conditional registration). But anything you need to register in
faces-config.xml will be unavoidably included and may cause ClassDefNotFound
errors and the like.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Paul Bakker <paulb at infosupport.com> wrote:

> No problem in that case.
> If people are able to use weld on their project, they can probably also
> upgrade JSF. Besides that, JSF 1.2 should be banned from this world asap
> anyway ;-)
>
> Paul
>
> On Dec 2, 2010, at 12:40 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul
> >
> > Sorry, wasn't clear. JSF is completely optional in Weld, you don't need
> the JSF API on your classpath to use Weld.
> >
> > We do provide optional JSF support inside the jar. Currently this is
> compiled against JSF 1.2 for maximum compatibility. I want to change this to
> JSF 2 to (more simply) resolve a bug in our JSF support. So the question is,
> does anyone object to dropping JSF 1.2 support.
> >
> > pete
> >
> > On 2 Dec 2010, at 11:38, Paul Bakker wrote:
> >
> >> There a quite a few scenarios where weld without JSF make sense:
> >> -alternative web framework (e.g. wicket)
> >> -a service only project (e.g. only JAX-RS)
> >> -weld SE
> >>
> >> It would be strange to pull in JSF on those kind of projects. On the
> other hand it's all alternative usage of weld, and I'm not sure that's
> important enough to stop us from doing this.
> >>
> >> Paul

> and GlassFish use JSF 2, I don't see any problems there, but wanted to see
> if anyone would object who is using Tomcat, Jetty or GAE?

> >> Op dit e-mail bericht is de disclaimer van Info Support van toepassing,
> zie http://www.infosupport.com/disclaimer

Lincoln Baxter, III
http://ocpsoft.com
http://scrumshark.com