[weld-dev] Ant dist build

Jay Balunas tech4j at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 22:08:01 EDT 2010

Hi All,

So I'm starting to refactor the RichFaces 4.0 build and I am looking at what
other projects are doing.  This includes weld and seam 3 builds ( especially
because we have a similar module concept ).

I'm looking for some lessons learned and what you would change if you could.

- Does the single parent pom work well when you have different modules with
very different dependencies?

- Do you guys have any scripts in your back pocket for making the svn
co/update, and build easier?  We have a top level pom that does nothing but
build all our modules from their trunk.  Might be worth checking in ( or I
might of just missed it ).

- Dist building - I was thinking of modularizing our dist builds so CDK
could be responsible for building CDK dist, UI would do the same, while
having a top level build put these together into the primary dist.  Was
there thoughts of this for weld/seam 3?  It appears to me that there is
really only a top level distribution build.  I think both have merits, just
wondering what the thoughts were.

- I know you guys are using ant builds instead of mvn assembly plugin.  Was
this just because the assembler sucks, or something else?

FYI - I think a lot of the build wiki pages are great, and has good details
( RF needs the same for release process).  I made a minor update to the
http://seamframework.org/Weld/WeldCoreReleases page, but agree with other
posts that some of the process is "learn as you go".  It is still much
better than many other projects, and I'll help out if I get the time, but I
can't promise anything right now.

More question to come for sure,
- Jay

--