[weld-dev] clarification of AfterDeploymentValidation

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:18:29 EST 2011

I've actually had this exact same dilemma in Seam. I want to know when
everything is ready. So it really depends on how you define after (or
started)

If you want to know when CDI is done starting up and when application-scoped
beans are available, that's the AfterDeploymentValidation event. However, I
also believe that this sounds too ambiguous. You have to know that
deployment validation is the last phase to know that the CDI beans are
ready.

Then there is the question of "when is the module deployed?" (module meaning
web archive, for instance). It amazes me that there is no definitive event
in Java EE for this. I've hacked around this in Seam by registering a
Servlet with a very low priority and fire an event in the init() method.

https://github.com/seam/servlet/blob/master/impl/src/main/java/org/jboss/seam/servlet/event/ServletEventBridgeServlet.java

I consider that a design requirement for EE 7.

-Dan

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 16:09, Mark Struberg <struberg at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need to trigger a task once the whole CDI container got started, and I'm
> not sure  if the AfterDeploymentValidation can be used for this. Basically
> what I like to do is to warm-up & initialise CDI based services when the
> server has been started.
>
> The AfterDeploymentValidation system event is defined as:
>
> "The container must fire a third event after it has validated that there
> are no deployment problems and before creating contexts or processing
> requests."
>
> Thus especially the part "before creating contexts" is a bit unclear. Does
> this mean that no @ApplicationScoped, etc beans are available yet in this
> phase?
>
> If so, do we like to introduce a new AfterServerStart event?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597