[weld-dev] @Resource annotation handling by Weld vs Servlet container

Jan Bartel janb at intalio.com
Sun Apr 12 20:13:05 EDT 2015

Hi Jozef,

Thanks for the info, a couple of followup questions inline ...

> to briefly explain the current integration: Handling or @Resource injection
> is not handled by Weld core itself. It is abstracted using the following
> SPI:
> http://docs.jboss.org/weld/javadoc/2.2/weld-spi/org/jboss/weld/injection/spi/ResourceInjectionServices.html
> Weld Servlet provides a default implementation of this SPI. An application,
> Servlet runtime or a library may provide an alternative implementation of
> the given service and take over resource lookups.

Looking at the WeldServletLifecyle class on line 124, it will always
provide an implementation of the ResourceInjectionServices (an
instance of ServletResourceInjectionServices). If we were to provide
our own implementation of ResourceInjectionServices, how would we
override that one? Is there a way to get a hold of the Deployment and
thus the BeanDeploymentArchives so we could set our own implementation
up? Ideally we'd like a pure CDI api way of interacting with weld, but
maybe that's not possible in this case?

> As for integration with Jetty, Weld provides a decorator that performs CDI
> and resource injection for Servlets, Filters and listeners. We can change
> that for Weld to only provide CDI injection
> (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WELD-1919).
Looks like the decorator will only call inject anyway - in my tests I
haven't seen it call any PostConstruct or PreDestroy methods (on
servlet/filter/listeners at least).

Alternatively, instead of Weld
> hooking into lifecycle of Jetty-managed components, Jetty could use CDI APIs
> to perform CDI injection on instances it manages.

Yes, potentially we could do that, although we'd probably need your
guidance on the best way to do that. Can  @Resource be  used by pojo
beans or only by servlet artifacts (servlet/filter/listeners)? If the
latter, then I'm fine for Jetty to do all the handling of @Resource.
If not, then it probably makes sense for weld to handle it, and we'd
need a way to disable Jetty's implementation if weld is present in a
webapp ...

cheers
Jan

--