[wildfly-dev] PicketLink pulling in JPA (Was: Changes to the PicketLink Module)

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Aug 5 17:53:47 EDT 2013

On Aug 5, 2013, at 3:26 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> Not sure I agree with your perspective on this anymore.  JPA is
> something that does not require Wildfly to run.  You can use it in
> library/resource-locale mode if desired.  WTF do we have JBoss Modules
> if we can't use it to scope services exactly like this?

The integration with JPA is complex in that it needs to do scanning of classes, reflective analysis, annotation analysis, bytecode generation, etc. The SE implementations assume all kinds of things like you can just go back and forth between Files and Jar URLs to do the scanning bit. You also need multiple class loaders in this very ugly stupid SPI so that various implementations can load the classes analyze them, then throw them away generate new classes and get those reloaded in a new class loader.

JBoss modules itself doesn't currently provide a traversal API, mainly because the intention was not to preclude sources that do not have one (network etc). That can be made unnecessary by hardcoding the classnames in persistence.xml and/or using jandex indexes. Although even if you do all of that you end up duplicating a lot of aspects of the deployment chains. Now of course *everything* could be a deployment but then if everything was a deployment server start would be much much slower. Even just JPA by itself can have initialization time that doubles server startup, and when everyone is doing it we could easily be several times slower.

There are other issues as well, like someone implements something that is tied to hibernate (pretty easy to do) or a specific version of hibernate.

> So, you're also saying that if I have an auth service that uses Resteasy
> client, I can't use Resteasy client because it is a subsystem we ship with?

It depends on what dependency requirements we want to have. I mean the question really should be should the auth service pull in resteasy and everything it depends on? Maybe thats ok. I'd argue that a core authentication infrastructure we are using, like picket link, should support all potential configurations of WildFly, including perhaps servlet only, or maybe even just a web proxy with no servlet, or maybe some new non -EE api framework set like Play or some ruby thing. If it's a core reusable service we should ensure that it can be properly shared.

> As far as the IDM API goes, I'm already worried it is turning into a
> Federated JDO project rather than an IDM API.

Yeah I am worried about the API complexity that is being pulled in.

> Not being able to use JPA
> will require it to re-implement a lot of the features JPA has:
> session/transaction management, connection pooling, 1st/2nd level
> caching etc…

If we look at this use case, its simply persisting and loading a token. To me it's overkill to pull in JPA for that. I could see some use cases with very complex relational designs that maybe motivates you, but even then it really should be balanced with what the overall architecture is going to look like.

So if we just need to share things like transactions and connection pooling it would make much more sense to split out those areas. We could for example look at can ironjacamar provide a tiny module that doesn't require all of RAR support to do connection pooling. Transactions is already small enough with just JTA, and naryana also has a new small core API.

Second level cache is something I am not sure matched up nicely with at least the IDM case. I mean the IDM already does caching, and using a second level cache is just duplicative.

Anyway my key point is that I think we sometimes look at problems from an application developers perspective, as in whats the easiest way to solve the problem I need to solve from that very specific perspective vs really looking at what the whole system integration feels like. Those really need to be balanced.

> On 8/5/2013 4:13 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> OK. The first guideline is that if you are implementing a service on WildFly, you need to remove any assumption on Java EE. Just because WildFly currently ships as a full Java EE full profile container today does not mean it will not one day ship different options, like a tiny non-Java EE platform. It could even be possible that we would ship multiple selectable versions of Java EE (or subsets) on the same underlying platform. Intra-service dependencies should be as rare as possible. This also brings in lots of other benefits like removing complexity, and improving performance (in particular boot) and memory foot print usage.
>>
>> So in this particular example STS should be using JDBC and not JPA for a DB persistence feature.
>>
>> That said if it were to be done (hopefully temporarily), the right way to do it (assuming we are talking a server wide scenario) would be to split the JPA feature into its own separate plugin with its own separate module. It would then need a mechanism to load the plugin, perhaps by referencing the module name in a configuration file. The JPA bootstrap itself assumes a Java EE context is using it, so it probably would need to use a special JPA integration API to obtain an EM. Those API enhancements would have to be capable of taking in a list of classnames and a classloader for the entities and likely also a prerun jandex index for the module containing the entities.
>>
>> On Aug 5, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Anil Saldhana <Anil.Saldhana at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jason,
>>>   this thread is not related to the JPA/IDM support we discussed in the
>>> sec-dev mailing list.
>>>
>>> The functionality that this thread is discussing is the presence of a
>>> token registry in PicketLink that serializes token identifiers to a file
>>> by default. Optionally, you can use a DB via JPA to store the tokens.
>>> Enterprise users may want to use a db to manage the tokens.
>>>
>>> I do agree on your concern about JPA usage.
>>>
>>> We are looking at guidance from the WF team on managing the module
>>> dependencies. I hope the team can come up with some guidelines for the
>>> projects integrating.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Anil

>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Bill Burke
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
> http://bill.burkecentral.com