[wildfly-dev] Layering docs?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Jun 14 13:52:58 EDT 2013

The product.conf is used to determine the slot portion of the module
identifier for the console. It's why org.jboss.as.console:eap is used
instead of org.jboss.as.console:main.

If putting a module called org.jboss.as.console:eap in some dir other
than modules/system/layers/base isn't working, please provide details.

Note that there is an indirection involved here. The value in slot=?
property in product.conf determines the slot for module
org.jboss.as.product:?. The slot to use for the console is read from
that module's MANIFEST.MF, e.g.:

JBoss-Product-Console-Slot: eap

On 6/13/13 4:47 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
> This is the issue Emanuel mentioned:
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-1505
>
> We tried to install the console as a layer, but using product.conf at
> the same time. It seems that, when product.conf is given, the actual
> layer is ignored and the console always be pulled from the "base"
> directories. (But that's something you guys need to confirm. )
>
> However this raises the question, if product.conf is actually needed
> anymore to replace the console if we start installing it as a layer.
>
> We've tested it on wildfly master, and just using the layer approach
> seems to work fine. But it's not clear to me, if this intented to be
> used this way.
>
> Regards, Heiko
>
> On Jun 12, 2013, at 5:38 PM, Emanuel Muckenhuber <emuckenh at redhat.com
> <mailto:emuckenh at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>> I was talking to Heiko before and turns out the issue was that when
>> installing the console as a new layer, it did not pick up the changes in
>> EAP, because product.conf was overriding the console slot.

Principal Software Engineer