[wildfly-dev] Classpath management for as7.2 / eap6.1 / wildfly

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu May 2 08:26:33 EDT 2013

On 05/02/2013 03:57 AM, Rob Stryker wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> The jbosstools team has been instructed by you all not to reach in to
> the modules folder for the purposes of classpath management in eclipse.
> We've also been told api would be forthcoming to assist us discover what
> jars should be added to projects so that users can get up and running as
> fast as possible. And a final reminder, our use case requires a
> non-running server to discover the appropriate jars to add.
>
> Was just wondering if this was anywhere on the plan, or if we should
> abandon waiting and simply hard-code our classpaths as we have in the
> past. Our users are getting upset as we just released alpha2 and our
> next is beta1. A beta with this serious error would only win user
> condemnation as incomplete if we provide no classpath management for web
> / seam / etc projects.

 From what I know of our current schedule, I'm afraid you should not
count on this for the 8.0.0.Alpha1 release.

The solutions which seem applicable to your concerns which Max and Brian
and I talked about included the following:

1. A single top-level txt file whose complete content is the release
name e.g. "WildFly 8" or "JBoss EAP 6.2" etc. (this should be easy)
2. Packaging JBDS Facet definitions in a well-defined place which
includes the class path information for each technology

We can definitely do #1 without any substantial effort.  For #2 we would
definitely count on input from you guys (we have no idea what these
definitions look like, though it does seem clear we'd have to use build
information in part to generate these files to ensure the exact JAR
paths (or at least Maven GAV) are properly specified).

Do you have any expectations beyond what I've listed here?

--
- DML