[wildfly-dev] package name change a good idea?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu May 2 08:59:39 EDT 2013

But doesn't it make it much harder for EAP 6.0 -> Wildfly upstream?

Also, what about jboss-logging et. al.?  Will they be renamed and
packages changed?  If so, this creates a headache for projects that
depend on those libraries.  For example, I'd want future resteasy
releases to work with both AS 7.1 and Wildfly.  I'd have to write an
abstraction layer for any old jboss utility library I reference so my
code would work between as7 and wildfly.

On 5/2/2013 8:17 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> No. WildFly will be the upstream for a future release of EAP. When that
> happens, those classes, in the existing org.wildfly packages, will be
> used in EAP.
>
> This is conceptually no different than cases where packages like
> org.apache appear in EAP. EAP is a product that is built from a variety
> of upstream projects. WildFly is one of those upstream projects. This
> was the case before the rename as well; the project fka JBoss AS was
> just one of the upstream projects in EAP.
>
> On 5/2/13 7:10 AM, Jaromir Hamala wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does it mean the same classes will be under different packages in EAP
>> and WildFly? Wouldn't this make a transition from WildFly to EAP harder?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jaromir
>>

>> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Tomaž Cerar <tomaz.cerar at gmail.com
>> <mailto:tomaz.cerar at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>      We never said we are going to be renaming existing packages.
>>      Especially because we don't want to break compatibly or make back
>>      porting harder.
>>
>>      What we did agree on is that new stuff should be in new package names.
>>      Old packages could be renamed only when the got some big
>>      upgrade/change that would break compatibility anyway.
>>
>>      --
>>      tomaz
>>

>>      On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com
>>      <mailto:bburke at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>          Are you sure a package name change is a good idea?  Won't it make it
>>          harder to pull/push changes upstream and downstream?  And create
>>          additional work for those who already are the bottleneck in the
>>          release
>>          process?  What does Fedora/RHEL do?
>>          --
>>          Bill Burke
>>          JBoss, a division of Red Hat
>>          http://bill.burkecentral.com
>>

>> --
>> “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
>> there is nothing left to take away.”
>> Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat