[wildfly-dev] package name change a good idea?

Paul Robinson paul.robinson at redhat.com
Wed May 8 08:53:48 EDT 2013

On 2 May 2013, at 16:31, Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:

> I doubt that using org.wildfly for all new packages makes sense (or is
> even being proposed.) Within a given module I'd rather see a coherent
> set of packages than a semi-random split based on when a package came
> in. So if some new functionality comes into a module with a coherent set
> of org.wildfly packages, fine. But if it sprinkles random org.wildfly
> stuff around instead of putting pieces in the logical spots in the
> existing org.jboss.as tree, that's wrong.

I agree. In the transactions project we have a mix of com.arjuna, com.hp.mw, org.jboss and probably some other packages that don't spring to mind at the moment. It can be annoying at times, especially when they fall under the same src root. We had the option to fix this with version 5 of Narayana, but we decided not to do it. This was because we didn't want to make it harder to back port features and to search through the history.

Personally, I'd only want to use org.wildfly for new projects where I'm starting from scratch. I just don't feel the rename buys you enough, to warrant the cost of harder back-porting and more complex history.

Paul.

--
Paul Robinson
Web Service Transactions Lead
paul.robinson at redhat.com

JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Brendan Lane (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)