[wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed May 22 11:16:18 EDT 2013

Interesting point. Why do we bother with these names?

I don't think it's a much of a barrier to communication, but only
because we never actually *use* these names. I've been involved in a
bunch of code name discussions, and almost always it's the night of the
release and suddenly in some chat someone says "Oh, &^!@! We need a code
name! Any ideas?" Then a couple man hours of discussion, a name is
found, and it's never thought of again except if someone reads it in the
startup message in the log.

On 5/22/13 9:41 AM, Cheng Fang wrote:
> I would avoid any code name and prefer using the plain old project name
> + release version.
>
> Having a code name adds another barrier in communication both internally
> and externally.  Given that it's an open source one, the code name will
> inevitably leak into the public and confuse with the same name used in
> other products and industries.
>
> Cheng
>
> On 5/21/13 7:44 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> As you know every release has a codename, and normally it's something we come up with on the day of release, but I'd like to make it more interesting and pick the name at the start of a new release as opposed to at the end.
>>
>> One name a few of us are quite fond of is "Texugo" but I was thinking of saving that for the Beta or the Final.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Principal Software Engineer