[wildfly-dev] Help pick the next release code name

Nicklas Karlsson nickarls at gmail.com
Thu May 23 01:38:24 EDT 2013

I agree with Jorge in that the release name is mostly a cute marketing
thing. "RedHat releases Wildfly 8.0.0.Final (Morning Wood)!".

No one even remembers what the previous release was called. I can't
personally remember ever using the release name. the customers don't care
and internally it's more clear to ask "Did you upgrade your development
environment from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 already" than using release names. But if
release names are used, I prefer terms that have a natural order that are
clear without googling (i.e insect development vs cyclopes)

But on the upside, the project must be going really well if the developers
have time to philosophize over the release name! ;-)

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Magesh Kumar Bojan <mbojan at redhat.com>wrote:

> > We could go with insect life stages for the code names.  Egg, larva,
> pupa, adult.
>
> Although it makes sense as it is *Wildfly*, better still use the
> scientific names of insect classification[1]. And if you *ever* run out of
> code names from that, move on to dinosaur classification and so on ;)
>
> [1] http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-taxonomic-orders.asp
>
> regards,
> Magesh

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266