[wildfly-dev] SDDS (Silly Deployment Detector Subsystem)

Paul Robinson paul.robinson at redhat.com
Thu May 23 05:12:33 EDT 2013

Nicklas,

Like others this is something I've wanted for some time. There was some interesting discussion on the following thread. I'll copy my original thoughts here. Apologies in advance to the "JEE Police", I was young and naive ;-)

"[jboss-as7-dev] Detecting deployment location errors for xml files using a JEE schema".

> A common problem I see again and again is when people miss-spell the
> filenames of XML artefacts that live in the META-INF and WEB-INF
> directories of a JEE archive. I also see people (myself included)
> putting these artefacts in the wrong location, For example, putting the
> beans.xml file in the META-INF of a .war when it belongs in the WEB-INF.

Also a student, on a course I teach, tried to deploy AS7 into AS7! That was fun to debug. Would you be able to spot that ;-)

Paul.

On 22 May 2013, at 08:22, Nicklas Karlsson <nickarls at gmail.com> wrote:

> (I know there has been some discussion on the topic (old community AS7-dev postings, IRC-chat with Tomaz Cerar etc)
>
>      Hanging around the forums, I've noticed that a frequent source of hard-to-debug deployment problems and other non-linear-behavior is that people often try to deploy archives with conflicting dependencies (various EE APIs/impls already on the AS, JDBC drivers, maven plugins, you name it).
>
>     Would it be worthwhile to implement a deployment processor (disabled by default) that would act as a helpful bouncer for the deployment archive? We could have a simple isSane(Archive) interface or something and people could write their own implementations (that would be picked up through the java services system or listed explicitly in some module?). Default implementation that come to mind is
>
> * Blacklisted packages (using Tattletale to warn users if they are bundling e.g. EE impls/APIs)
> * Version limiter (using Tattletale to warn if deployment contains too old version of lib, e.g. Spring)
> * Unused libs (using Tattletale to warn if deployment contains unused jars)
> * Server provided libs (using Tattletale and JBoss Modules) to show which dependencies could be handled by a server module dependency)
>
> I'm not sure JBoss Modules contains any "directory" for which-modules-provides functionality but I guess the module root could be scanned and the resources indexed or something. Performance would not be an issue because it's still going to be faster that a user playing around with dependencies for days.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
> Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Paul Robinson
Web Service Transactions Lead
paul.robinson at redhat.com

JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Brendan Lane (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)