[wildfly-dev] Configurable implicit module imports

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 10:45:42 EDT 2013

On 9/12/2013 10:10 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 08:11 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>> The whole JSON-JAXRS support is a *bleepin* mess....
>>
>> * You have old users that want to use Jettison to generate JSON from JAXB.
>> * You have new users that want to use Jackson to generate JSON from JAXB.
>> * Jackson 1.x is a completely different Java package than Jackson 2.x.
>> With that you have old users that want to use 1.x new users that want to
>> use 2.x.
>>
>> Given that, it would be nice to have one place where they can set up the
>> default implicit imports that come with Resteasy/JAX-RS subsystem.
>> Someplace where they could configure this without it being hardcoded so
>> we can support older apps that are migrating to Wildfly .  Quite
>> honestly I scratch my head trying to figure out why you guys decided it
>> was a good idea to hardcode implicit module imports.
>
> Hey just be glad we don't have a flat class path :)
>
> Is there any reason why all three should not be imported by default?  (I
> am completely ignorant of JAX-RS so forgive me if that's a dumb question.)

They conflict with one another as JAX-RS binds marshallers based on
media type, target java class and target's annotations.  Jettison and
Jackson have different default JAXB->JSON mappings and there's no way to
pick between the two without a special resteasy annotation.  As for old
vs. new Jackson, there's no way to determine which one to use if no
Jackson annotations are being used.  Its a cluster-bleep...

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat