[wildfly-dev] Merge Commits

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 10:15:39 EDT 2013

On Sep 30, 2013, at 5:03 AM, Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse at jboss.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is it intentional we have switched to 'Merge' commits for pull requests?

I'm exploring them as a way to speed up our merge process and provide better auditing. No decision yet.

> e.g.
>
> https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/commit/97ce5300f4277be023a112531b00dfa4beda4bdd
>
> Jason it is going to look like you have authored everything and in the
> future using annotate or browsing the history it is going to be more
> complex to identify why previous lines of code were written ;-)

That's not true. A merge commit links to the original author history. Github just displays the delta to be friendly. Git annotate also will show the original author sha1 and not the merge sha1.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat