[wildfly-dev] WF 8.0 HTTP Upgrade help needed

Stuart Douglas stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 18:33:15 EDT 2014

Przemyslaw Bielicki wrote:
> I tried - exactly the same results.
>
> Another weird observation is that ServletOutputStream.isReady() is
> returning true even after the connection is closed
> (ServletInputStream.isFinished() is correctly returning true).
>
> Here's the scenario that works but I can write back the data only once:
> 1. In HttpUpgradeHandler I set only  the ReadListener
> 2. I switch the protocol and send some data
> 3. ReadListener gets activated i.e. onDataAvailable() is called.
> 4. I process the input data, read as much as possible and put the input
> into the queue
> 5. From within ReadListener I set the WriteListener
> 6. WriteListener.onWritePossible() gets called and I process the data -
> I clean the queue
> 7. As long as I'm in WriteListener.onWritePossible()
> (while.out.isReady() is constantly returning true, which is a correct
> bahavior) the ReadListener is on-hold. I can send as much data as I like
> but onDataAvailable() is not called
> 8. Only when I leave WriteListener.onWritePossible() method the
> ReadListener.onDataAvailable() is called again and I can consume the
> input data again.
> 9. I can process the input data again i.e. put it into the queue but
> WriteListener.onWritePossible() is never called again. When I try to
> reset it I get IllegalStateException
>
> Either the specification or implementation seem not very mature....
> Wildfly behavior is consistent with the one of Tomcat.

As Remy said this is expected.
Basically there is only ever one IO thread per connection, so only one
method will be active at a time.

The reason why your listener method is not being called again would
become apparent if you look at the javadoc for the read/write listeners:

Subsequently the container will invoke this method if and only
if {@link javax.servlet.ServletOutputStream#isReady()} method
has been called and has returned <code>false</code>.

Basically what this means is that the listener is only invoked if
isReady() returns false at some point. If you have read some data and
then you want to echo it you should call the onWritePossible method
yourself, after you have received the data.

Stuart