[wildfly-dev] Should deployed EAR WAR files include wildfly module provided JAR's?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 12:53:05 EDT 2014

On 4/20/14, 4:56 PM, hanasaki at gmail.com wrote:
> wildfly modules contain some open source jar files.
>
> 1. should WAR and EAR files include these or list them as maven scope
> provided and use the jboss deployment descriptor to have the app server
> include them in the classpath from the app server module?
> 2. Does the answer change for modules that are jboss.api=private vs
> those that are not private?

The answer definitely depends. If a module is marked as
jboss.api=private that means if you depend on it you are on your own as
far as checking for compatibility, etc if you upgrade your WildFly
version. WF ships the module for its own internal use and we won't
hesitate at all in a future release about making major upgrades in that
module or removing it altogether if that best fits our needs.

> The below reference has some information however do not definitively
> state a best practice and why.
>
> reference:
> http://wildfly-development.1055759.n5.nabble.com/what-is-jboss-api-private-exactly-td5711072.html

Senior Principal Software Engineer