[wildfly-dev] Pooling EJB Session Beans per default

Andrig Miller anmiller at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 11:49:08 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

I am not talking about a meaningless no-op benchmark, but a benchmark that does lots of work.  We don't use meaningless no-op benchmarks on the performance team, with some exception for microbenchmarks that we have carefully crafted that model the interactions for a specific component within the context of how it is actually used for a real application.

> Also however crappy it was, I did implement an EJB container at one
> time
> in my career.  :)  I know for a fact that there are a number of
> per-request internal support objects that need to be allocated.
>  Let's
> count:
>
> * The argument array (for reflection)
> * Each argument of the method call
> * The response object
> * Interceptor context object
> * The interceptor context attribute map
> * EJBContext
> * Subject, Principal, role mappings
> * Transaction context
> * The message object(s) specific to the remote EJB protocol
>
> Starts to add up huh?   I'm probably missing a bunch more.  Throw in
> interaction with JPA and you end up with even more per-request
> objects
> being allocated.  You still believe pooling one EJB instance matters?

See John O'Hara's post which shows our non-meaningless benchmark and the difference that pooling makes vs. non-pooling.  It is a dramatic difference to say the least.

This conversation is a perfect example of misinformation that causes us performance and scalability problems within our code bases.

Andy