[wildfly-dev] Pooling EJB Session Beans per default

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 13:37:07 EDT 2014

On Aug 6, 2014, at 10:30 AM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> What you mean to say is that you need to scale to 100's of thousands of
> clients on meaningless no-op benchmarks. :)  I do know that that old
> SpecJ Java EE benchmarks artifically made EJB pooling important as
> process intensive calculation results were cached in these instances.
> But real-world apps don't use this feature/anti-pattern.

If the benchmark in question is doing that, that would most definitely explain this. I mean we know the following can perform poorly without pooling:

1. Expensive initialization in @PostConstruct
2. Lazy expensive initialization in a invocation (what you allude to above)
3. Expensive initialization in a constructor

Large allocations of objects count as expensive initialization.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat