[wildfly-dev] Proposal to add notifications to WildFly management model and API

Jeff Mesnil jmesnil at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 07:30:29 EDT 2014

On 04 Aug 2014, at 21:36, Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Another thing I’m still considering is how much idiomatic the JMX integration should be. At the moment, the conversion from WildFly notifications to JMX is straightforward.
>> * when a resource is added/removed, the notification is emitted at at is location in the resource trees
>>   => in JMX, registering/unregistering a MBean emits notifications at a single location in the JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate
>>   => Users wanted to capture our facade means notifications would have to register their listener against the jboss.as:* ObjectName pattern instead
>
> Are you saying the standard MBeanServerNotification via
> JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate wouldn't work? I think it should.
>
>> * when an attribute changes, the type of the JMX notification remains attribute-value-written
>>   => Does it make sense to convert that to JMX AttributeChangeNotification?
>
> That seems like the intuitive thing to do, and anyone trying to use JMX
> to monitor the system would expect such notifications. Why wouldn't we
> do that?

As a followup, I’ve submitted a PR for the local JMX notifications with your suggestion:
* resource-added/removed are converted to MBeanServerNotification emitted by JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate
* attribute-value-written are converted to AttributeChangeNotifcation emitted by the resource itself.

jeff

[1] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/82
--
Jeff Mesnil