[wildfly-dev] Domain Overview design

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 16:41:51 EDT 2014

Am 11.08.2014 um 22:09 schrieb Liz Clayton <lclayton at redhat.com>:

>> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/wildfly-dev/2014-June/002360.html
>
> Thanks for sending this pointer! I read through the thread and have a few more questions:
> - Sounds like there are some terminology issues to reconcile as part of this?
> - Should these shutdown states be represented in the visualization? If so, do you think they should be represented as:
> * A graduated scale of availability (shades of yellow/orange), to reflect the various states of suspension or “out of sync” ness?
> - or -
> * A single “out of sync” (suspended?) state? If that were the case, perhaps “out of sync” could be represented as an intermediate (yellow/orange) state between green and red. Details about the state could be presented in a hover overlay, with a link to perform the action needed ("restart" for example).

I think the latter is the better, as both *_REQUIRED states are effectively still RUNNING, but with
a configuration which is not the latest.

In RHQ we currently have UP/DOWN/UNKNOWN/ADMIN_DOWN (*)  and are thinking of
extending this to

UP: Resource is available and working normally
DOWN: Resource is at fault and not working normally
MAINTENANCE: There is a scheduled maintenance period, availability may be UP or DOWN
MISSING: The resource was recorded in inventory, but does not exist in reality (e.g. was deleted on file system)
ADMIN_DOWN/DISABLED: The resource exists, but was disabled by the admin (e.g. a network interface on a 8 port card where only 1 cable is connected)
UNKNOWN: Resource state can not be determined

and also MIXED for groups of resources.

*) e.g. a network interface exists, but has no cable connected on purpose