[wildfly-dev] Representation of boolean attribute in our XML configuration

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 11:48:12 EDT 2014

On 8/29/14, 7:34 AM, Jeff Mesnil wrote:
> Out of curiosity, have we made a decision about the XML representation of boolean attributes in the next-generation of our management API?
>
> At the moment, we have 3 different styles:
>
> 1. as a empty element <expose-resolved-model/>

Not this. This cannot support an expression.

> 2. as an attribute <append value="true”/>
> 3. as an element text child <backup>true</backup>
>
> What’d be the default style in the next version?
> That’s more a question for Tomaz but he’s in PTO :)

Default is to not use an element for a single attribute. Include
expose-resolved-model="true" in some element that represents more than
that, i.e. the resource.

The scenario where this gets ugly is resources that have a ton of
attributes, resulting in unwieldy xml. For example, the hornetq server
resource. ;)

The admin console UI faces a similar problem with those kinds of
resources. To help we are going to add a 'grouping' field to the
attribute description metadata to provide a hint to the console as to
how to present logically related attributes. I don't see why our
standard xml parsing / marshalling couldn't use the same information to
create an xml element per attribute group.

> jeff

Senior Principal Software Engineer