[wildfly-dev] WildFly domain on OpenShift Origin

Thomas Diesler tdiesler at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 04:28:45 EST 2014

Folks,

following up on this topic, I worked a little more on WildFly-Camel in Kubernetes/OpenShift.

These doc pages are targeted for the upcoming 2.1.0 release (01-Feb-2015)

WildFly-Camel on  Docker <https://github.com/wildfly-extras/wildfly-camel-book/blob/2.1/cloud/docker.md>
WildFly-Camel on  OpenShift <https://github.com/wildfly-extras/wildfly-camel-book/blob/2.1/cloud/openshift.md>

The setup looks like this

We can now manage these individual wildfly nodes. The domain controller (DC) is replicated once, the host definition is replicated three times.
Theoretically, this means that there is no single point of failure with the domain controller any more - kube would respawn the DC on failure

Here some ideas for improvement …

In a kube env we should be able to swap out containers based on some criteria. It should be possible to define these criteria, emit events based on them create/remove/replace containers automatically.
Additionally a human should be able to make qualified decisions through a console and create/remove/replace containers easily.
Much of the needed information is in jmx. Heiko told me that there is a project that can push events to influx db - something to look at.

If information display contained in jmx in a console has value (e.g in hawtio) that information must be aggregated and visible for each node.
Currently, we have a round robin service on 8080 which would show a different hawtio instance on every request - this is nonsense.

I can see a number of high level items:

#1 a thing that aggregates jmx content - possibly multiple MBeanServers in the DC VM that delegate to respective MBeanServers on other hosts, so that a management client can pickup the info from one service
#2 look at the existing inluxdb thing and research into how to automate the replacement of containers
#3 from the usability perspective, there may need to be an openshift profile in the console(s) because some operations may not make sense in that env

cheers
—thomas

PS: looking forward to an exiting ride in 2015