[wildfly-dev] JNDI and java:comp, slimming the server, and componentless naming contexts

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Feb 4 08:39:37 EST 2014

I think we need to look into a small redesign of how we handle
java:comp, java:module, and java:app.  The reasoning comes in three parts:

* Various specs require that certain names be bound globally across all
of java:comp.
* Various other specs implicitly expect to be able to query these
globally bound names even if there is no actual component context.
* Duplicating these bindings uses more resources than are necessary.

Therefore I think we need to make a small change - we should have a
"global" version of the three context-specific namespaces that act as a
sort of fallback if there's no (component|module|app)-specific name
bound at a location.  This allows us to do a few things:

* Satisfy the spec issues
* Reduce resource overhead
* Allow globally-configured things in the management config to bind to
component/module/app-specific namespaces

Thoughts?
--
- DML