[wildfly-dev] Wildfly Quickstarts

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 13:49:15 EST 2014

Thanks for the list. See my comments inline:

On Feb 10, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Eduardo Martins <emartins at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> —E
>
> On 10 Feb 2014, at 17:30, Eduardo Martins <emartins at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I have to upgrade the maven plugin that handles deployments, anyone considering to have a look at the ones not 100% working please contact me first.
>>
>> —E
>>
>> On 10 Feb 2014, at 16:12, Eduardo Martins <emartins at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> During the weekend I was able to complete first round of tests and fixes of the quickstarts, here is my feedback about it:
>>>
>>> Quickstarts 100% working (60):
>>>
>>> * bean-validation
>>> * bmt
>>> * carmart
>>> * carmart-tx
>>> * cdi-add-interceptor-binding
>>> * cdi-alternative
>>> * cdi-injection
>>> * cdi-portable-extension
>>> * cdi-veto
>>> * cmt
>>> * deltaspike-authorization
>>> * deltaspike-beanbuilder
>>> * deltaspike-beanmanagerprovider
>>> * deltaspike-deactivatable
>>> * deltaspike-exception-handling
>>> * deltaspike-projectstage
>>> * ejb-in-ear
>>> * ejb-in-war
>>> * ejb-remote
>>> * ejb-security
>>> * ejb-throws-exception
>>> * greeter
>>> * greeter-spring
>>> * helloworld
>>> * helloworld-gwt
>>> * helloworld-html5
>>> * helloworld-jdg
>>> * helloworld-mdb
>>> * helloworld-rf
>>> * helloworld-rs
>>> * helloworld-singleton
>>> * helloworld-ws
>>> * hibernate4
>>> * inter-app
>>> * jax-rs-client
>>> * jta-crash-rec
>>> * jts-distributed-crash-rec
>>> * kitchensink
>>> * kitchensink-angularjs
>>> * kitchensink-deltaspike
>>> * kitchensink-html5-mobile
>>> * kitchensink-jsp
>>> * kitchensink-ml
>>> * kitchensink-ml-ear
>>> * log4j
>>> * logging-tools
>>> * numberguess
>>> * picketlink-authentication-idm-jsf
>>> * picketlink-authentication-jsf
>>> * servlet-filterlistener
>>> * servlet-security
>>> * tasks
>>> * temperature-converter
>>> * wicket-ear
>>> * wicket-war
>>> * wsat-simple
>>> * wsba-coordinator-completion-simple
>>> * wsba-participant-completion-simple
>>> * xml-dom4j
>>> * xml-jaxp
>>>

>>> Quickstarts working but with some unexpected exceptions/errors (8):
>>>
>>> * cluster-ha-singleton (EJB, HASingleton, JNDI)

This looks like noise from testing failover.

>>> * ejb-asynchronous (EJB)
>>>   - exception after client completes, see http://pastebin.com/u0EVFTAN

This is a bug, David has a PR for it.

>>> * jts (JTA, EJB)
>>>   - when running the cli script remove-its-transactions.cli an exception is seen in the server console log, see http://pastebin.com/yqYCgL04

This looks like it was ran against the wrong profile?

>>> * kitchensink-ear (JSF, CDI, EJB, JPA, Bean Validation)
>>>   - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/iiGAWrFE

This looks harmless but is annoying. We should investigate that for 8.0.1.

>>> * mail (JavaMail, JSF, CDI)
>>>   - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/G6fJhGDc

This is a problem with our current development session persistence feature. I think we are going to disable this feature by default and make it more intelligent by 8.0.1.

>>> * payment-cdi-event (CDI)
>>>   - exception on redeploy after making sales on the app, see http://pastebin.com/4CbMTxVA

Same as above

>>> * richfaces-validation (RichFaces, JSF and Bean Validation)
>>>   - works but writing on app's text boxes throw exception, see http://pastebin.com/cqxcv3xD

Lets just drop this sample. RichFaces probably needs an update.

>>> * servlet-async (Servlet, CDI, EJB)
>>>   - exception on undeploy, see http://pastebin.com/0xTgeH5E

This is just a stale cleanup issue.

>>> Quickstarts not working at all (11):
>>>
>>> * deltaspike-helloworld-jms (JMS, CDI, DeltaSpike)
>>>   - fails to send mms msg, see http://pastebin.com/9qHxvWkH

Drop it.

>>> * ejb-security-interceptors (EJB, Security)
>>>   - mvn exec:exec fails
>>>   - exception on server see http://pastebin.com/FR9ptxGm
>>>   - exception on client see http://pastebin.com/xdJgLa0q

Darran is checking this out

>>> * ejb-security-plus (EJB, Security)
>>>   - mvn:exec:exec fails, see http://pastebin.com/cA6tffPt

Same as above

>>> * helloworld-errai (Errai, JAX-RS, GWT)
>>>   - exception on deploy, see http://pastebin.com/G1VgtDUU

Drop it.

>>> * helloworld-jms (JMS)
>>>   - mvn clean compile exec:java fails, see http://pastebin.com/d6WLXdZB

Sounds like Jeff already has the latest master fixed.

>>> * hibernate3 (JSF)
>>>   - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/4y74WwY7

I just merged a PR from Scott that fixes this.

>>> * kitchensink-rf (CDI, JSF, JPA, EJB, JPA, JAX-RS, BV)
>>>   - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/wfsEfugd

Drop it.

>>> * picketlink-authorization-idm-jpa (CDI, PicketLink)
>>>   - fails to deploy, see http://pastebin.com/c4QMy3St

Drop it.

>>> * shopping cart (EJB)
>>>   - exception when running client, see http://pastebin.com/DV9Whrj6

David, can you check this one out?

>>> * tasks-jsf (JSF, JPA)
>>>   - exceptions when using the app, see http://pastebin.com/4uJdMdpc
>>>
>>> *  tasks-rs (JPA, JAX-RS)
>>>   - deploy fails, see http://pastebin.com/iYy2KSM7

Drop both of these.

>>> Quickstarts not tested due to dependencies on JBoss products or something else (6):

Everything product specific needs to be dropped.

>>> * forge-from-scratch
>>>   - needs JBoss Forge
>>>
>>> * helloworld-osgi
>>>   - osgi not included in WFLY 8
>>>
>>> * hotrod
>>>   - needs JDG
>>>
>>> * kitchensink-cordova
>>>   - some mobile apps(?!?) that I’m not sure how to test
>>>
>>> * memcached-endpoint
>>>   - needs JDG
>>>
>>> * rest-endpoint
>>>   - needs JDG
>>>
>>> —————————
>>>
>>> Sources:
>>>
>>> * BOMs
>>>   - https://github.com/emmartins/jboss-eap-boms/tree/1.4.0.Final-WFLY8
>>>
>>> * Quikstarts
>>>   - https://github.com/emmartins/quickstart/tree/javaee-7.0
>>>
>>> To try this checkout both specific branches, do "mvn install" on both, then follow instructions in each Quickstart’s README.md.

>>> Final Words
>>>
>>> Like I said in today’s call, we have a big list of 100% working quickstarts already, probably more than enough as companion of WFLY 8 Final release, but some of the ones that do not work partially or completely kind of worry me, so I’m going to retry the ones which failed with current WildFly sources in master branch. In case the errors persist I will contact related core team members and start digging.
>>>
>>> By the way, the Hibernate 3 one, do we need to worry with this or should I simply remove it right away?
>>>
>>> With respect to the ones not worked out, I don’t think it makes any sense to use WFLY with other JBoss comercial products, perhaps a change to related community projects should be done later...
>>>
>>> There is a final pass of fixes in the README.md files, since during tests I noted there are still a lot of references to EAP 6, but that is not relevant to the WFLY 8 code release.
>>>
>>> —E

Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat