[wildfly-dev] Trimming console size

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 09:59:06 EST 2014

Can't you just require specific browser implementations/versions?  This
is an admin console for admins, not a user application made for your
grandma who's using the same old computer and OS version you bought her
10 years ago.  Java 7 is already a requirement, can't you do the same
with a browser?

I'm asking because that's the approach we took with the Keycloak admin
console.  Our user facing screens must be compatible with old browsers
where our admin console can rely on relatively modern Javascript APIs
and HTML support.  Is this a bad approach to take?

Thanks

On 2/24/2014 9:06 AM, Harald Pehl wrote:

> Am 24.02.2014 um 14:59 schrieb Tomaž Cerar <tomaz.cerar at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I was just discussing with Harald could get distro size down by 25+MB if we would trim our console a bit.
>>
>> Currently we compile console with 40 permutations, six browsers (ie6,ie8,ie9,gecko1_8,safari) and eight languages (en,de,es,fr,pt_BR,zh_Hans,ja,ko).
>>
>> I think we could drop support for ie6 and get rid of extra localization with support only EN.
>> IE6 market share is so low this days that it really does not make sense to support it in upstream anymore.
>> Also we don't ship localization of logging messages/exceptions in WildFy anyway, so why have just one part localized.
>>
>> This way we would get down to 4 permutations and our console distro would be 6.8Mb instead of current 32,3Mb
>>
>> Also if people want extra localization, they could always just download full console release and replace that with jar we ship.
>>
>> So what do you guys think?
>
> Fully agreed. Besides the reduced distribution size, this would save me 20 minutes lifetime / per full build ;-)
>
> .: Harald
>

>> --
>> tomaz

> ---