[wildfly-dev] Trimming console size

Harald Pehl hpehl at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 12:04:44 EST 2014

Am 24.02.2014 um 17:43 schrieb Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com>:

> On 2/24/14, 10:28 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

>>> Actually that is the real problem - it is for admins, that are not allowed to use
>>> a modern browser because central IT invested X money in to certifying it with
>>> whatever ridiculous internal stuff they came up with. They do not want to
>>> re-certify with FFn+1 every 3 weeks because no one will pay them.
>>>

>> Obviously you don't want to require support for the latest and greatest
>> every 3 weeks version, hence "relatively modern".  "Relatively modern"
>> being, I don't know, browsers from 2010? or even 2012?  Wouldn't they
>> have this same certification headache with Java 7 or Java 8?
>>
>>> Grand ma on the opposite just needs to call their kids^w local tech support
>>> to get an update installed.
>>>

>> No, grandma wouldn't even make the connection that she needed to update
>> her browser.  She just wouldn't go to that website anymore.
>>
>> FYI, I'm not trying to hijack this thread.  Just trying to get input.
>>

> Are you saying drop IE8 as well? IE 9 came out in March 2011.
>
> Browser geeks: if gecko1_8 was dropped, what's the earliest Firefox we'd
> support?

gecko1_8 is used for *all* Firefox version > 3.0. For FF, Chrome & Safari GWT does not distinguish between interim versions. Here's the full list of supported browsers (taken from the latest GWT sources):
https://gwt.googlesource.com/gwt/+/master/user/src/com/google/gwt/useragent/UserAgent.gwt.xml

> I think Tomaz's proposal to drop IE 6 is a no-brainer.

I take this as a "Yes, remove IE6 permutation from the WF version"

.: Harald

> --
> Brian Stansberry
> Senior Principal Software Engineer