[wildfly-dev] Trimming console size

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 16:02:44 EST 2014

Please refer back to the 20 million past threads that explain why it was chosen, and why it is still a good choice. If you still disagree and still want to criticize it, then please include a reasonable well researched proposal for an alternative technology, and a reasonable action plan and timeline for how we get there.

Thanks

On Feb 24, 2014, at 11:07 AM, Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant at redhat.com> wrote:

> And that is why I'll never understand why GWT was chosen.
>
> Tristan
>
> On 24/02/2014 15:06, Harald Pehl wrote:
>> Am 24.02.2014 um 14:59 schrieb Tomaž Cerar <tomaz.cerar at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> I was just discussing with Harald could get distro size down by 25+MB if we would trim our console a bit.
>>>
>>> Currently we compile console with 40 permutations, six browsers (ie6,ie8,ie9,gecko1_8,safari) and eight languages (en,de,es,fr,pt_BR,zh_Hans,ja,ko).
>>>
>>> I think we could drop support for ie6 and get rid of extra localization with support only EN.
>>> IE6 market share is so low this days that it really does not make sense to support it in upstream anymore.
>>> Also we don't ship localization of logging messages/exceptions in WildFy anyway, so why have just one part localized.
>>>
>>> This way we would get down to 4 permutations and our console distro would be 6.8Mb instead of current 32,3Mb
>>>
>>> Also if people want extra localization, they could always just download full console release and replace that with jar we ship.
>>>
>>> So what do you guys think?
>> Fully agreed. Besides the reduced distribution size, this would save me 20 minutes lifetime / per full build ;-)
>>
>> .: Harald
>>
>>> --
>>> tomaz

>> ---