[wildfly-dev] Trimming console size

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 19:05:12 EST 2014

On 2/24/14, 5:48 PM, Stan Silvert wrote:
> On 2/24/2014 4:15 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> On 2/24/14, 2:55 PM, John Doyle wrote:

>>>       I'm hoping that it won't be long before the web console is a
>>>       separate download that merely connects to WildFly/EAP.  At that
>>>       point we would not ship web console with the server and this won't
>>>       really matter any more.
>>>
>>> That might be fine for WildFly, but additional downloads is an
>>> anti-requirement for EAP.
>> IMO it would be an anti-requirement for the main distribution of WF as
>> well -- the one where you download a zip and unzip it to get a full EE
>> appserver. But it could be common in other ways we distribute.
> The web console team has several good reasons for wanting to have a
> separate download.  I'll let them articulate it.
>
> But I guess I don't understand your response since web console is not
> required in order to have a full EE appserver.

I didn't say there shouldn't be a separate download available. I just
think that as long as we are providing a big old zip of an EE appserver,
it should include the console. *Requiring* users who are already
downloading 100MB+ to go download the console separately just to have
one seems silly and a poor user experience.

If we're talking smaller, lighter distributions or tooling that builds a
dist for you, that's a different matter.

>>>       I assume that if we do trim the console, it will be for WildFly
>>>       only?  That's probably a good thing but we would need to explain why
>>>       the EAP download is so much larger.
>>>
>>>       Also note that localization is not just for logging messages and
>>>       exceptions.  Some DMR operations are localized too and presumably
>>>       the result does show up in the web console UI.
>>>
>>>       Stan
>>>
>>>       On 2/24/2014 8:59 AM, Tomaž Cerar wrote:
>>>
>>>           Hey guys,
>>>
>>>           I was just discussing with Harald could get distro size down by
>>>           25+MB if we would trim our console a bit.
>>>
>>>           Currently we compile console with 40 permutations, six browsers
>>>           (ie6,ie8,ie9,gecko1_8,safari) and eight languages
>>>           (en,de,es,fr,pt_BR,zh_Hans,ja,ko).
>>>
>>>           I think we could drop support for ie6 and get rid of extra
>>>           localization with support only EN.
>>>           IE6 market share is so low this days that it really does not
>>>           make sense to support it in upstream anymore.
>>>           Also we don't ship localization of logging messages/exceptions
>>>           in WildFy anyway, so why have just one part localized.
>>>
>>>           This way we would get down to 4 permutations and our console
>>>           distro would be 6.8Mb instead of current 32,3Mb
>>>
>>>           Also if people want extra localization, they could always just
>>>           download full console release and replace that with jar we ship.
>>>
>>>           So what do you guys think?
>>>

>>>           --
>>>           tomaz

Senior Principal Software Engineer