[wildfly-dev] Trimming console size

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 22:21:17 EST 2014

On 2/25/2014 3:01 PM, Stan Silvert wrote:
> On 2/25/2014 2:41 PM, John Doyle wrote:

>>     On 2/24/2014 3:55 PM, John Doyle wrote:

>>             I'm hoping that it won't be long before the web console is
>>             a separate download that merely connects to WildFly/EAP.
>>             At that point we would not ship web console with the
>>             server and this won't really matter any more.
>>
>>         That might be fine for WildFly, but additional downloads is an
>>         anti-requirement for EAP.
>>
>>     The user doesn't necessarily know the difference as long as he is
>>     connected to the internet.  Whether the console app is first
>>     downloaded from the EAP server or from a Red Hat server shouldn't
>>     matter.
>>
>> We have users that cannot connect to the internet for security reasons.
> Then they can't download the server either.  Problem solved. :-)
>
> But seriously, that's a simple matter to address.  I'm just pointing out
> that it doesn't matter if the browser downloads the console from an
> EAP/WildFly server or from somewhere else.  It's all the same to the user.
>
> There are great advantages to moving the console out of the distro.
> Perhaps Herald or Heiko will explain when they are ready.

I hope this separation of the console from Wildfly is optional.  Its a
much bigger advantage to be able to download one distro, unzip, and run,
specifically for development.  Makes it simple for 1st time users.  For
development, nobody cares if there's an extra 30M that's part of the
distro.  It would be much more annoying to have to figure out how to
install a separate console download just to be able to configure
something as simple as a datasource from the mgmt UI.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat