[wildfly-dev] Automatically resolving expressions in the CLI

Edward Wertz ewertz at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 01:36:24 EDT 2014

I've been thinking about the UX considerations over the last week. Generally there seem to be 3 basic situations involved.

1) There can be expressions in the result and the CLI can, in some manner, successfully resolve those expressions. This is dependent on the context that the command/operation is executed in, domain/standalone mode and the location in the configuration tree, but seems solvable.

2) There can be expressions in the result and the CLI can't resolve those expressions. For example if they're looking at a domain profile there's nothing to resolve against.

3) There won't be expressions in the result. There are lots of places in the CLI that would never return an expression. Which means the user would never need the argument/param.

I think it's ok to hide the argument/param in situation 3. If expressions won't show up in the results there's no reason to have an option to resolve them really. It seems confusing to include it here.

The main question is what to do in situation 2, where there will be expressions in a result but it's impossible to resolve. Hiding the argument there seems like it could be confusing for people. They'll see an expression and if they know the argument is available elsewhere they'll wonder why they can't use it here. Frustration ensues. I think it would be better to have some type of error message explaining, somehow, that their location within the configuration tree doesn't allow for expressions to be resolved. I'm not sure what it should say though or how many of these situations exist. Any suggestions?

The other question is whether there are situations where 1 and 2 actually overlap. Where some expressions are resolvable, but others are not. I haven't been able to figure out if that's an actual problem yet.

I'm going to implement the ability to hide the argument for the 'ls' command this week, which Alexey pointed me towards on Friday, and look into how to add a param to the server-side operations. Once I have both working successfully I'll try to create a comprehensive list of all the applicable situations I can figure out. No sense in doing that before I can get it actually working for both the CLI commands and server-side operations first.

Joe Wertz