[wildfly-dev] Is JMX Needed in Core?

Stuart Douglas stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:09:36 EDT 2014

Brian Stansberry wrote:
> On 7/9/14, 1:59 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>> The problem with that is that if you take it to its fullest extent you
>> end up with one subsystem per repo, which is not something we want.
>>
>> I am not sure where the best place for it is, even if it stays in core
>> it should be possible for the tooling to exclude it, same with logging.
>>
>> Otherwise I think the place for it to live would be the web distro, as I
>> think that people will definitely want to be able to use JMX to manage
>> that.
>>

> So the web build is becoming the spot where foundational stuff like this
> and Elytron come in? The core is uber-minimal for the folks who really
> want that, and then web has these things that lots and lots of folks
> will want.
>
> In the odd case where folks want this foundational stuff but not
> undertow etc, they can just depend on the web build and exclude
> undertow. Real corner case. And folks who don't want the foundational
> stuff exclude it.
>
> I can see that working out pretty well.
>
> Does logging belong in web then then? Still seems like something that
> even the uber-minimalists would want. I ask because it bugs me that we
> have two meanings now for "core" -- the old "core" notion that was the
> true core with zero subsystems, and now this new wildfly-core dist,
> which has subsystems.

I'm really not sure. TBH from a practical sense I don't think it makes
any real difference, its more of an idealogical thing.

I guess if we look at web as being 'all the stuff that people will
probably need' then it makes sense that logging, jmx and
deployment-scanner live there instead of core.

Stuart