[wildfly-dev] WFLY 9.0 startup message

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Jul 24 21:24:16 EDT 2014

On 7/24/14, 6:54 PM, James R. Perkins wrote:

> On 07/24/2014 03:15 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> On 7/24/14, 5:03 PM, Frank Langelage wrote:
>>> When using current WildFly build from sources I see this message after
>>> startup is complete:
>>> 24.07. 21:12:26,131 INFO  [org.jboss.as#done] WFLYSRV0025: WildFly
>>> 1.0.0.Alpha3 "Kenny" started in 28469ms - Started 374 of 500 services
>>> (179 services are lazy, passive or on-demand)
>>>
>>> Two things I suppose to be changed:
>>> 1. version is now the version of the underlying core, but version of the
>>> server should also be shown, or not? May be something like "WildFly
>>> 9.0.0-Alpha-SNAPSHOT based on WildFly Core 1.0.0.Alpha3" ?
>> IMHO it should just be the version of the full dist, with the core
>> version only shown if whatever mechanism we add for letting a dist-based
>> on core control this isn't implemented by a particular dist.
> Probably not ideal, but something like this almost kind of works
> https://github.com/jamezp/wildfly/compare/name-test.

Yeah, IIRC (which is chancy) in an IRC chat a few weeks back something
like that looked like the likely solution. Some things to think about:

1) This is the EAP mechanism, so we'll need to think about how it will
relate to EAP once that becomes relevant (i.e. don't steal its thing and
then get stuck when it wants it back.) I think that's mostly just
thinking about the log message we'll want to write adn ensuring
ProductConfig can support that with the needed data.

2) product.conf as a file name kind of sucks for something that isn't a
product

3) How this relates to the process of building a server when each of the
pieces that make up that server (e.g. web-build) try to write that file,
unless it's just trivial to have the final build win.

> We could clean the
> Version API up though and probably do it a little different.
>>
>> Right now I assume we have no mechanism to let dists based on the core
>> control this.
>>
>>> 2. the nickname "Kenny" already was used for WildFly 8.x. Time to create
>>> a new one for 9.0.x, or?
>> Please, let's drop code names!!! It's just another thing to screw up.
> +1

Senior Principal Software Engineer