[wildfly-dev] Domain Overview design

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 10:21:52 EDT 2014

On 7/25/14, 3:16 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Am 24.07.2014 um 21:58 schrieb Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com>:
>> Please be cautious about the Alerts notion in your design. WildFly
>> doesn't actually have the kind of altering system that many might be
>> thinking of when they imagine this kind of thing. So it would have to be
>> developed. That's something we want to do, and Jeff Mesnil is doing some
>> of the foundational work, but it's not there yet and it's a big job
>> competing with lots of other big tasks. So, we want it, but the more a
>> UI design depends on a complex alerting system, the riskier it is that a
>> needed feature won't be there.
>
> Please be aware that RHQ / JBoss ON
>
> a) has complex alerting as of today
> b) will improve that and make it available to other project just like
> we are making rhq-metrics available to others.

Good to know. I figured that would happen, a la the rhq-metrics work;
I'm glad to hear that's the plan.

> Creating an alerting (sub)system is no trivial task as we have
> learned the painful way. If you have resources available for this,
> then please contribute to the rhq effort so that we have a joint
> (customer) experience.

Yes, absolutely. We've done very little in this area, and have very
little in the way of resources, so anything we do we'd very much want to
do as part of a broader effort.

The work I mentioned that Jeff is doing truly is foundational; it's not
an alerts management system, it's the fundamental support for receiving
notifications from the management API. Anything not based on polling
would need that.

See http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/wildfly-dev/2014-July/002533.html

>    Heiko

Senior Principal Software Engineer