[wildfly-dev] We started seeing test failure in PassivationTestCase.testPassivationMaxSize() which has passivation max-size=1 and repeated called to two separate beans...

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 22:18:09 EDT 2014

We started to see what looks like a JPA extended persistence context
related error.  [1] is the server.log that shows the exception (see the
last one near the bottom) that shouldn't be happening on WildFly master.
  Also, there are some marshalling errors that I didn't see on brontes
(I'm wondering if there is a concurrency error between the bean
invocation and passivation/activation when Hibernate throws the
"java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot serialize a session while
connected" error during marshalling as if bean is active).

I am able to recreate the failure locally with a modification to the
PassivationTestCase.testPassivationMaxSize() [2] to repeatedly
alternative between calls to remote1 + remote2 beans.

I don't have this nailed down to the actual cause but it seems like a
race condition between passivation/activation and bean invocation (imo).

Scott

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/277pwvxv53dp8vk/server.zip contains the
results from more than one test run.  If you look at the server.log, you
probably should go to the end and see the last "javax.ejb.EJBException:
WFLYJPA0030: Found extended persistence context in SFSB invocation call
stack but that cannot be used" error

[2] unit test change to loop repeatedly until failure occurs
https://github.com/scottmarlow/wildfly/tree/passivationxpcissue