[wildfly-dev] [jboss-as7-dev] Domain mode server launch command

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 14:00:23 EST 2014

Hi John,

I copied the wildfly-dev list.

I prefer the <jvm> approach. We already have logic for combining jvm
configs set at different levels (server-group, host, server) so people
can set this at whatever level they prefer, and then if they want
something different for a particular server they can override.

Cheers,

- Brian

On 3/7/14, 4:15 AM, John O'Hara wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I was talking to Kabir about incorporating this feature into the
> host-controller model. We discussed different options for places to
> define the launch command, and we came to the conclusion that it could
> be placed in one of two locations in host.xml. The options discussed were;
>
>  1. Incorporate the command as an attribute of the existing <jvm>
>     element. This would allow for the same lanuch command to be applied
>     to all servers in the domain and only have to define it once e.g.
>     running the server process under a different user id.  The launch
>     command can also be overwritten or defined for each server allowing
>     separate launch commands for each server e.g. pinning jvm to
>     particular numa nodes.
>  2. Creating a new <server-launch-command> element under the <server>
>     elements. Users would need to define the server launch command for
>     each server separately.
>
> I had originally defined the host schema with a <server-launch-command>
> element under the <server>element.  However, it might provide more
> flexibility to define the launch command in the <jvm> element.
>
> Kabir suggested that I run this by you, so your thoughts on where to
> define this in hosts.xml would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Senior Principal Software Engineer