[wildfly-dev] Dropping Qualifier from Version Number for utility artefacts

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Tue May 20 12:37:22 EDT 2014

We have a number of additional maven projects that are pulled into
WildFly where in general their predominant purpose is for use within
WildFly.

For these kinds of projects I am wondering if it would make more sense
to drop using a version qualifier, this is compatible with our agreed
scheme: -

https://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossProjectVersioning

The major and minor numbers are still available for us to be able to
branch off for maintenance, the micro then just becomes a tag counter.

At the moment we end up in situations where components need to move from
Beta to CR to Final at the appropriate time for a WildFly release even
though the modules are not actually being pushed as independent
projects, this creates additional work tagging and then processing the
component upgrades.

A couple of projects where this would make sense to me are JBoss
Negotiation and JBoss SASL, both of these are tied so closely to the
WildFly release that having their own qualifier does not add much.

An example project where retaining the qualifier is good would be JBoss
Remoting where it could easily be conceived that the chances are higher
it would be used as a stand alone project.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.