[wildfly-dev] Management Model: Squatter Resources

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 12:29:10 EDT 2014

On 10/30/14, 11:07 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> On 10/30/14, 10:23 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> The main advantage of polymorphism (which is really just a way of saying
>> "decoupling model location from node type") is (perhaps obviously) that
>> you can use the same model location for more than one type.
>>

> There's a separate branch of this thread that looks to be getting into
> discussing use cases for polymorphism, so here I'll focus on details a bit.
>
> Right now our types are tied to addresses. The address defines the type,
> and is used to find the description of the type. This is even true with
> complex attributes, just with a slightly different mechanism.
>
> To get away from having the address define the type, we would need some
> other mechanism for declaring a type. In a hangout today, we
> brainstormed about using special attributes[1] in any complex ModelNode
> (i.e. any resource or a complex attribute of OBJECT type).
>
> We'd need some clear mechanism for resolving type definitions based on
> the data in those special attributes.
>
> The description of the parent would have to declare what the valid types
> are, in some combination with what the valid addresses are. That would
> allow tooling like the console to guide the user when creating new items
> or radically changing existing ones.
>
> For something like the CLI it gets more cumbersome, as our UX (which I
> like a lot) is based on tab completion. Tab completion could still
> suggest a type, but the user's choice would no longer get recorded in
> the current input.

This may be less of an issue than I thought. If polymorphism is allowed,
the operation sent to the server will need to identify the type too,
presumably as a param. So that tab completion data will get recorded in
the input, like all the current cases. The special behavior here is when
polymorphism is allowed, the initial tab completion will have to only
allow choices that define the intended type. Once that is known, the
rest proceeds as it does now.

Senior Principal Software Engineer