[wildfly-dev] Management Model: Squatter Resources

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 12:48:47 EDT 2014

On 10/30/14, 6:55 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> Thanks for the update Jeff. Yes, it's true that singleton resources impose problem when attempting to further automate (read data binding) the UI components we have in the console. But currently I don't believe we can do without them, as they provide a valid and reasonable way to model certain resources. So, with regard to your proposal, I think the way you approach the new hornetq resources is fine.
>
> The specific problems we are facing with the UI need to be tackled in general way and breaks down into these questions:
>
> - how do we (programmatically) identify singleton resources?
> - how do we access their resource meta data (:read-resource-desciption)?
>
> The fundamental problem (as described in my previous email) is that you cannot tell which resources are singletons when walking the tree using any of the child related operations (read-child-types(), read-children-names()). Currently the only way to go about that is to read child resource recursively and compare their structures. For regular, non-singleton resources the address token key (/<key>=<value>/...) denotes the type.
>
> We would need an equivalent way to identify the types for singleton resources as well. This for instance would work for us:
>
> /subsystem=messaging/hornetq-sever=*:read-children-types()
> {
>      "outcome" => "success",
>      "result" => [
>         ...,
>          "ha-policy=live-only",
>          "ha-policy=replicated-master",
>          "ha-policy=replicated-slave",
>      ]
> }

I haven't taken action on this specific request before because this
general area is a really broad topic and I wanted to let thinking play
out. But we've been thinking about it quite a while now and there's a
consensus that these singleton resource types exist and there's no
reason not to improve the API in this way.

I opened https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-208 and we'll be sure
it's resolved for the WF 9 Beta1.

Please have a look at the description of that JIRA, where I'm quite
precise about the semantics.

> [...]
>>
>> I especially wonder how the console (and to a lesser extent the cli) can deal with this resource.
>>
>> Heiko, is it something that would make sense for the console based on this resource description:
>>
>> [standalone at localhost:9990 hornetq-server=default] ./ha-policy=*:read-resource-description(recursive-depth=1)
>> {
>>     "outcome" => "success",
>>     "result" => [
>>         {
>>             "address" => [
>>                 ("subsystem" => "messaging"),
>>                 ("hornetq-server" => "default"),
>>                 ("ha-policy" => "replication-colocated")
>>             ],
>>             "outcome" => "success",
>>             "result" => {
>>             }
>>         },
>>         {
>>             "address" => [
>>                 ("subsystem" => "messaging"),
>>                 ("hornetq-server" => "default"),
>>                 ("ha-policy" => "replication-master")
>>             ],
>>             "outcome" => "success",
>>             "result" => {
>>             }
>>         },
>>         {
>>             "address" => [
>>                 ("subsystem" => "messaging"),
>>                 ("hornetq-server" => "default"),
>>                 ("ha-policy" => "shared-store-slave")
>>             ],
>>             "outcome" => "success",
>>             "result" => {
>>             }
>>         },
>>         {
>>             "address" => [
>>                 ("subsystem" => "messaging"),
>>                 ("hornetq-server" => "default"),
>>                 ("ha-policy" => "live-only")
>>             ],
>>             "outcome" => "success",
>>             "result" => {
>>             }
>>         },
>>         {
>>             "address" => [
>>                 ("subsystem" => "messaging"),
>>                 ("hornetq-server" => "default"),
>>                 ("ha-policy" => "shared-store-master")
>>             ],
>>             "outcome" => "success",
>>             "result" => {
>>             }
>>         },
>>         {
>>             "address" => [
>>                 ("subsystem" => "messaging"),
>>                 ("hornetq-server" => "default"),
>>                 ("ha-policy" => "replication-slave")
>>             ],
>>             "outcome" => "success",
>>             "result" => {
>>             }
>>         },
>>         {
>>             "address" => [
>>                 ("subsystem" => "messaging"),
>>                 ("hornetq-server" => "default"),
>>                 ("ha-policy" => "shared-store-colocated")

Senior Principal Software Engineer