[wildfly-dev] Migration management operation - open questions

Ladislav Thon lthon at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 03:59:10 EDT 2015

Inline.

>> This is mostly about clarifying what should I do before starting the new
>> server in --admin-only.
>>
>> In standalone -- am I supposed to copy snippets from old standalone.xml
>> to new standalone.xml?
>>
>> In domain -- uh oh, sorry, I don't really know, maybe this is somehow
>> connected to the ability of newer domain controller to manage older servers?
>>

> The intent here was not to let people start with a new standard config
> shipped by us and then use these ops to import stuff from a previous
> config. The expectation is they are starting with their existing config
> and changing it.

So this is in some ways the most important part of this discussion :-)

I just took standalone-ha.xml from EAP 6.4 and tried starting WildFly 10
Beta1 with it. Failed immediately because "WFLYCTL0309: Legacy extension
'org.jboss.as.threads' is not supported on servers running this version."

Removed the extension, started again, failed with "Unexpected element
'{urn:jboss:domain:threads:1.1}subsystem'" (of course!).

Removed the "threads" subsystem, started again, failed with two error
messages related to the "datasources" and "ejb3" subsystems.

Is this the intended workflow? I didn't get further, because I somehow
get a feeling that patching the new default configuration with relevant
bits from the old one will be easier when only a handful of changes in
the configuration were made, and probably on-par when the configuration
changes were more involved. Of course it's just a feeling, but the first
impression is important too :-)

> It's possible they'll want to start with some sort of a hybrid, i.e.
> take our new standard config, then bring their own stuff in, and then
> let us migrate parts. If so the user is responsible for creating that
> initial hybrid. If some other tooling helps them with that, all the
> better, but that's out of scope for these ops.

Of course, no question about that.

LT