[wildfly-dev] clarification on why Wildfly versions are increasing so quickly

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 18:16:38 EDT 2015

The versioning really just reflects our desire to be a bit more incremental with feature delivery, and to have a regular release schedule that encourages participation and involvement. Overall I think we are still a very mature and conservative project. As anyone who has ever submitted a contribution will tell you, we have numerous checks and reviews throughout the whole process.

As to the actual interval, we aim to have Final releases around 6-9 months apart, although that can fluctuate depending on the feature set, and if we are absorbing say a new Java EE release.

> On Aug 19, 2015, at 8:38 AM, Karl Pietrzak <kap4020 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> First off, kudos to everyone for a great product!
>
> Secondly, I'm wondering if someone could explain to me the significance of the quick succession of Wildfly version upgrades: from 8 -> 9 -> 10 (soon).
>
> It seemed like we were on JBoss 7.x for a long time, and now the top link at http://wildfly.org/downloads/ <http://wildfly.org/downloads/> is actually the Wildfly 10.x beta.
>
> Does this represent:
> 1. a sudden increase in contributions and feature work?
> 2. shift in marketing (i.e., no underlying tech changes)
> 3. something else
>
> Our concern is that this represents some instability / internal dynamics / change in policy that would encourage us to visit other app servers.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Karl

Jason T. Greene