[wildfly-dev] Administrator Encouragement

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Thu Feb 5 04:00:21 EST 2015

Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
"Administrator Encouragement".

I am not looking for this to be a design thread, that can come later but
the general principal was that subsystems could register warnings with
some kind of central service that admin tools could then retrieve later
to advise administrators that some configuration could be required to
improve their installation.  Warnings would potentially have a severity
level and tooling would potentially have the option to guide the user to
the correct place to resolve the issue.

Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
hearing any additional ideas.

  - SSL is not configured.
  - SSL certificates are due to expire.
  - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
  - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
  - Default node name  has not been changed.
  - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.

Anyway these are just a few ideas and interested in hearing any more.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.