[wildfly-dev] Administrator Encouragement

James Livingston jlivings at redhat.com
Sun Feb 8 17:28:21 EST 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 09:00 +0000, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
> hearing any additional ideas.
>
>   - SSL is not configured.
>   - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>   - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>   - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>   - Default node name  has not been changed.
>   - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.

If you're thinking about runtime warnings, as opposed to plain
administrative actions that should be taken, there are some things which
are WARN/ERROR in logs that may be good to show too so they don't get
lost. For example timeouts acquiring pooled resources, such as EJBs
instances or JDBC connections, which may indicate problems or
mis-configuration.

I have a half-baked idea about detecting excessive GC pauses in managed
servers, which if it worked could make a useful runtime warning.

--
James Livingston
JBoss Support Engineering Group