[wildfly-dev] Administrator Encouragement

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Mon Feb 9 09:47:31 EST 2015

On 09/02/15 14:40, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> On 2/8/15 4:28 PM, James Livingston wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 09:00 +0000, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
>>> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
>>> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
>>> hearing any additional ideas.
>>>
>>>     - SSL is not configured.
>>>     - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>>>     - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>>>     - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>>>     - Default node name  has not been changed.
>>>     - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>>
>> If you're thinking about runtime warnings, as opposed to plain
>> administrative actions that should be taken, there are some things which
>> are WARN/ERROR in logs that may be good to show too so they don't get
>> lost. For example timeouts acquiring pooled resources, such as EJBs
>> instances or JDBC connections, which may indicate problems or
>> mis-configuration.
>>
>> I have a half-baked idea about detecting excessive GC pauses in managed
>> servers, which if it worked could make a useful runtime warning.
>>

> This is drifting into a general notification and alerting tool, which is
> a natural direction to go.
>
> Darran, do you have any thoughts on the boundaries between what you
> envisioned and full fledged notification and/or alerting tool?

That is kind of what I am trying to explore with this thread.  The types
of notifications I know I need are fairly simple for me to design
something around but I am trying to see the other kinds of notifications
we could consider so we don't design ourselves away from being able to
add them in the future.