[wildfly-dev] Batch Deployments

James R. Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 11:49:37 EST 2015

I'm working on allowing batch jobs to be viewed in the management model
and I'm running into some issues.

Batch jobs require a XML file to start. Per the batch spec that the XML
files can be found outside of the archive, for example somewhere on the
file system. If the job XML isn't found there it looks in the
META-INF/batch-jobs directory for the job XML.

Batch repositories are global for all applications. All deployments can
see all other deployments job status and query information about the
jobs. They can't start or restart jobs for other deployments, but
they're viewable.

Here lies the problem. It seems batch jobs, at least from the management
view, should be limited to the deployment the job was run on. I'm
considering only allowing job XML files in the META-INF/batch-jobs to be
viewable via management. Though there is still a chance two different
deployments could use the same job name (the name of the job XML file)
which would show the jobs run by the two different deployments with the
same job name.

I can't think of another way to isolate jobs from the repository to link
to a deployment. If anyone else has any ideas let me know. There is no
spec for the repository so we can do whatever we want really.

--
James R. Perkins