[wildfly-dev] Question on frozen management client

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 14:43:16 EDT 2015

Please pretty much disregard this; I inadvertently hit "Send".

While I think it's odd there's only one management-client-thread, that
doesn't necessarily mean the other one failed. In particular I don't
expect a thread to be blocking waiting for a response. It's all based on
callbacks when xnio/remoting gets data.

> It looks like the issue is on the client side. The ModelControllerClient
> uses an internal executor service with threads named
> "management-client-thread XXX". The stack traces only show 1 such
> thread, sitting idle. The core pool size on the executor is 2, so there
> should be a 2nd thread, and presumably that's the one that should be
> doing the work (i.e. waiting for the server response.
>
> That sounds like something has happened that propagated all the way back
> to the pool and killed the thread.
>
> I don't know what though, or why it would fail for you but not with the
> CLI. The request has reached the server and at that point the code
> should be executing the same basic code path as the CLI.
>
> On 5/29/15 2:25 AM, Rob Stryker wrote:
>> Hey All:
>>
>> I've been trying to dig into this for a while but really haven't gotten
>> very far.   Glance at https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-19641
>>
>> It seems our client (jbosstools) appears to have frozen while sending a
>> large war over mgmt api for deployment. Unfortunately, looking at the
>> stacks doesn't show anything strange. In fact, it seems the transfer is
>> still in effect.  However, our user indicates that disk activity (ie
>> transfer) has ceased, and yet the client jar classes have not indicated
>> the transfer was done or aborted.
>>

>> The class we use to perform the mgmt publish is
>> https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-server/blob/master/as/plugins/org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.management.wildfly8/src/org/jboss/ide/eclipse/as/internal/management/wildfly8/Wildfly8Manager.java
>>
>> It's pretty simple, but QE is indicating it freezes and after a short
>> while, nothing happens.
>>
>>      I was wondering if anyone here might have any insight?  QE indicates
>> the transfer works fine over jboss-cli, but not in jbt.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> - Rob Stryker

Senior Principal Software Engineer