[wildfly-dev] SimpleRoleGroup#roles

arjan tijms arjan.tijms at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 15:04:54 EDT 2015

Hi there,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Stefan Guilhen <sguilhen at redhat.com> wrote:

>  The TCK coverage (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the ability to
> configure custom JACC providers. If we didn't support it not a single test
> of the JACC testsuite would pass so the TCK is not to be blamed in this
> case.

Well, one of the requirements of JACC is that the Java EE product has a
default JACC provider (which implements the authorization algorithms as
defined by both the Servlet and EJB containers). So it could
*theoretically* have been the case that the TCK only tests that one. Of
course I don't know if this is indeed the case.

JBoss indeed has such a default provider. However, the spec also requires
(I think) that in a full Java EE server all authorization decisions (for
the APIs defined by Servlet and EJB) go via JACC, which clearly does not
happen in JBoss. As far as I know, only GlassFish really does this, while
TMaxSoft JEUS comes close.

> The JASPIC testsuite is another story and I think we both agree that it is
> broken from our previous conversations. Arun's JEE testsuite, to which you
> contributed your JASPIC tests, has been much more valuable as a tool to
> validate the implementation than the TCK itself.

I'm really glad they helped ;)

> Having said that, the documentation does really seem to be missing a
> section about custom JACC providers so I went to check the TCK setup. It
> looks like the TCK JACC providers are bundled in a jar and this jar is
> being set as a resource of the org.jboss.as.security module. I'm not sure
> why it was done this way but I believe it should be also possible to define
> your own module containing the classes and then wire it to the security
> module as a dependency instead of a resource.

Hmmm, how would one go about doing that exactly? I think I created a module
for my custom JACC provider, then set that as a dependency for the security
module (since that was the place the default implementation lives), but it
again did not work (class not found exceptions). Could well be the case
that I did something wrong, so an example would be great.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms