[wildfly-dev] Wildfly start-up as service script depends on console log to determinate start result

Chao Wang chaowan at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 09:59:30 EDT 2015

Hi all,

The Wildfly start-up as service scripts wildfly-init-redhat.sh and
wildfly-init-debian.sh currently depend on a grep action of key message
'WFLYSRV0025:' in console log to determinate whether service start is
successful. The log message indication is accurate, however, it's not
that robust since user can always remove console handler from logging
subsystem. I have opened a WFCORE enhancement jira
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-747 for it.

For the moment, I have tried three options, they're all not that perfect
to implement

1. Stay with exact log message, users need to define their jboss log
directory such as $JBOSS_HOME/standalone/log/server.log for standalone
and $JBOSS_HOME/domain/log/host-controller.log for domain instead of
searching in console log. This is more like another workaround since it
is also volatile once we update log message in future release.(EAP has
'JBAS015874:')

2. Use service pid, this is not precise because a long start-up can
crash in the last second. It needs to wait a suitable seconds before
checking pid existence. and still it can not avoid fake success in rare
case just before timeout.

3. Use read-attribute server-state through CLI connection as I did in
Pull Request on Jira. This is declined as it is possible that
authentication is required before connection. In such case, any  non
encrypted password is not advised in configuration files.

Therefore, I would like to listen for your opinions for them. Any other
suggestion is certainly welcomed in mail or on jira.

Best regards,

Chao