[wildfly-dev] failures in composite operations

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 15:20:31 EDT 2015

Here's the use case: a monitoring app wants to monitor a WildFly instance - it will ask WildFly for the values of N attributes across M resources in one bulk composite request. This would avoid having to send one request for each individual attribute being collected (rather than one request for all of them at once).

Is there a way I can configure a composite request such that WildFly will not abort the entire composite request if a single step to read an attribute fails?

For example, suppose I send this - I'm basically asking Wildfly "tell me the status of my two deployed applications a.war and b.war" :

{
    "operation" => "composite",
    "address" => [],
    "steps" => [
        {
            "operation" => "read-attribute",
            "address" => [("deployment" => "a.war")],
            "include-runtime" => false,
            "name" => "status"
        },
        {
            "operation" => "read-attribute",
            "address" => [("deployment" => "b.war")],
            "include-runtime" => false,
            "name" => "status"
        }
    ]
}

Well, if someone undeployed a.war, that first step results in an error, but it also completely aborts the composite operation so I can't find the status of b.war either, unless a.war exists.

I would like composites like this to tell me the status of every read-attribute - whether a failure or not. If not possible, I'm forced to split this up and make two individual requests for each attribute.

Extrapolate that out - if I have N attributes I want to collect at the same time, I would be forced to make N individual requests rather than 1 composite request just to avoid the case where if one of them failed, I would lose the data for all N.